Congratulations on getting to this point! We know launching a website can be overwhelming but we’re here to help you through to the end.
Before we get into the steps you need to take to launch your website, it is important to understand how it will work.
There are three factors for a website to work and display on the web:
- Website Host - This is us at Advisor Websites! We store, build and display your website using our platform. Think of this as your phone number that people will use to reach you.
- Domain Name - This is the website address(www.example.com). As it suggests, this is your name on the internet and how people get to know you. This is normally provided by companies like GoDaddy or Network Solutions.
- DNS (Domain Name System) - is how we connect your website to your domain name. Think of it as the phonebook where people can look up your name and find your phone number. These are usually set up within your domain name provider.
So, how do we connect everything so that anyone who types your website address (domain name) will go to your website?
This is the process of telling your domain name where to go by adding DNS records to it. To launch your website, this is what we’ll be doing!
If you purchased your domain name from other providers outside of GoDaddy, the below records are what you need to add to your domain name:
- Log in to your domain provider dashboard. If you don’t have access to this, reach out to their support team.
- Once in your domain providers dashboard, try to find an area that would say “manage domain” or “manage DNS”.
- Enter the settings emailed to you for your website. Make sure to follow the format listed below.
4. If you're asked for a TTL or Time to Live, choose 1/2 hour or whatever is default.
5. Don’t forget to save the changes you made and let our team know so we can finalize your launch.