Congratulations on getting to this point! We know launching a website can be overwhelming but we’re here to help you through to the end.
Before we get into the steps you need to take to launch your website, it is important to understand how it will work.
There are three factors for a website to work and display on the web:
- Website Host - This is us at Advisor Websites! We store, build and display your website using our platform. Think of this as your phone number that people will use to reach you.
- Domain Name - This is the website address(www.example.com). As it suggests, this is your name on the internet and how people get to know you. This is normally provided by companies like GoDaddy or Network Solutions.
- DNS (Domain Name System) - is how we connect your website to your domain name. Think of it as the phonebook where people can look up your name and find your phone number. These are usually set up within your domain name provider.
So, how do we connect everything so that anyone who types your website address (domain name) will go to your website?
This is the process of telling your domain name where to go by adding DNS records to it. To launch your website, this is what we’ll be doing!
Step 1: Purchase Domain Name
If you don’t have a domain name already, you will need to purchase one from a third-party domain provider. Our number #1 recommendation* for domain name provider is GoDaddy. You can purchase your domain name through GoDaddy here.
If you already have a domain name, you can skip this step.
Step 2: Configure DNS Settings
Once you have your domain name ready, we can now add the required DNS settings. Note that depending on your Domain Registrar, the exact process will likely be different. Please choose the option that applies to you:
- Click here If your domain name is registered with GoDaddy.
- Click here If your domain name is registered with a different provider.
- Click here If you are unsure who your domain provider is.
- Click here if your domain name is owned by another website provider such as Emerald or Broadridge.
- If you have an IT team that usually takes care of your emails and other technical aspects of your business, please click here.
Step 3: Redirect any additional domains
If you use more than one domain name for your website, we recommend redirecting it to your primary domain to centralize traffic and ensure everyone can still reach you.
If you’re with GoDaddy, you can follow these steps to redirect an additional domain name to your live website.
For any other providers, we recommend reaching out to their support team to get this set up.
P.S. If you are using an email address that does not reference your domain name, we recommend reaching out to your IT team or mail provider to set that up as well.
*We are in no way affiliated with GoDaddy. This recommendation comes from what we found most of our clients prefer.